Would you like to have fun, make new friends and get in the best shape of you life in our martial arts classes
All While Learning Skills That Will Protect You and Your Loved Ones!
Classes available for 13yrs +
Our Adult classes specifically let you learn at your own pace. YOU WILL be placed with one of our experienced and caring male or female instructors. When we train with partners, YOU WILL be placed with someone of your age and experience level as well so that you will not feel out of place.
Our Classical Karate classes are taught in a relaxed but focused atmosphere and we are here to help you start your journey.
Do you have these thoughts?
- I have never done any martial arts training before? That is why we are here! to help you achieve your best. The hardest step is getting to the door, once there, we will help you along the way
- I am not fit or flexible or strong enough or have existing injuries? Honestly who ever really is? Will the aggressor care? I doubt it either. We are all different, we can all do different things and most of us can’t do everything. you have to start somewhere and we are here to help. Have a go, practice and if it still doesn’t work, then we will give you an alternative to try to suit you. Self-Defence is about doing what you can do, at your best, at that particular time. We will help you find that
- I am too old or it is too late? Our oldest is over 70! Does that make you feel better? We have students in every age bracket from the older teens to the early 70’s. We are mainly 30-50yrs of age in our group and welcome everyone to have a go, with many students from every age group.
- I am training in another martial art or moved to Busselton and want to find a new Dojo to train in? Thats AWESOME! Martial Arts is about coming together, training and sharing knowledge. We dont allow ego’s in our Dojo, so check it at the door and come in for a great class. Most of the blacks belts in our Dojo have DECADES of experience, not only with BMA but with other martial arts, ALL ARE WELCOME! We would love to meet you.
- Will my past experience help if I continue with BMA to grade? Your experience should let you know it will, and yes we are a different martial art, so if you regrade you do start again from White belt, but you should also know that is a good thing not to be pressured to perform and your experience will be taken into account at gradings
- I suffer from anxiety, lack of confidence or have experienced an unfortunate domestic voilence past? Then come for a chat first with Sensei during an adult class and he may introduce you to someone with, or have had a similar situation to yours (this applies to anyone male and female). Sensei will never devulge your past with anyone…ever….It is up to you to make that decision if and ever you are ready. We’re here to help in whatever way we can and at your pace.
- We have an AWESOME SOCIAL CLUB! (non training related) Nothing obligitory to it either. Cant make it, to busy, not interested in it, Its ALL GOOD. Join in when you want to. Events range from simple things like a quick drink at the local, bbq’s, laser tag, tenpin bowling, lunches, dinners, personal parties, camping trips, RELAY FOR LIFE, Fun Mud-Runs. Its all there and the list gets bigger each year
GET HEALTHY, HAPPY & CONFIDENT AT BMA-BUSSELTON MARTIAL ARTS!
Even as Adults we need to develop the confidence and traits that we teach in the Youth Karate. We emphasise all of our new and current members that we are a “Personal Best” school of training. That is, you will not be compared to other, more experienced members at any time. All that you are asked is to do your best and we will help you step by step to improve your training and fitness.
You will set goals and we will help you achieve them little by little under our guidance.All of our classes are conducted by Craig Crampton Shihan (Master Level Instructor & Accredited National Karate Coach) and other experienced instructors to help you become fitter and faster.
Our adults classes are a great place to be, everyone understand’s how difficult it is to step through the door the first time and you will be happily greeted and made welcome by our fellow members. You will have no expectations to perform and everyone gladly helps you achieve your own personal goals.Our school (Dojo or place of training) studies two main fighting arts. One in which Craig Crampton Shihan is a 30 year veteran of GoJu-Ryu Karate-Do and that of Patrick Macarthy’s Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo-Jutsu (KU for short). Mr Crampton has incorporated both fighting art concepts into his classes for study and is now one of WA’s only authorised schools for KU.
Come down for a go, meet great people and make new friends. Use the special offer located on our home page to book your class
If you are a beginner in the martial arts, please know that you have nothing to fear. While your first step into the dojo can feel intimidating, we here at the school have all been through it.
FOR THOSE THAT WANT MORE DETAIL…
Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo-jutsu is a modern interpretation of Okinawa’s historic combative-like disciplines. A completely systematized, cohesive and coherent method of learning/teaching, delivered in a traditional atmosphere, honouring both its culture and pioneers.
Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo-jutsu can also be learned/imparted as a provocative alternative to conventional methods of physical fitness and stress management. Learning how to respond dispassionately to unwarranted aggression requires self- empowerment. Such training promotes an inner-calm and, where conflict exists, helps restore balance to personal and professional relationships.
Koryu Uchinadi is a non-competitive, totally application-based defensive practice, punctuated with moral philosophy and highlighted by introspective teaching as a comprehensive single study.
What is Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo Jutsu?
Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo Jutsu, (which translates as old stream Okinawa hands quanfa art) means the old fighting arts of Chinese origin as handed down in Okinawa and is Hanshi Patrick McCarthy’s interpretation of these practices. It is a method of responding to what we refer to as “Habitual Acts of Physical Violence” utilising punches, kicks, throws, joint manipulations, strangles, pressure point strikes and ground fighting.For today’s person interested in the martial arts, it means Koryu Uchinadi is not sports based. In other words, the training does not primarily focus on preparing for competition. Koryu Uchinadi training prepares the student for dealing with unwarranted acts of aggression in the real world. At the same time the methods used to achieve this, and the code of conduct adhered to by the school, conditions the body, cultivates the mind and nurtures the spirit.
What makes KU different?
Established as a pragmatic alternative to the plethora of terribly ambiguous and highly dysfunctional styles of “traditional” karate, Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo-jutsu is a modern interpretation of Okinawa’s historic combative-like disciplines. It is a completely systematized, cohesive and coherent method of learning Karate and is delivered in a traditional atmosphere, honouring both its culture and pioneers, Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo-jutsu is both and art and a science. Based on common mechanics and supported by immutable principles, the most unique features of Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo-jutsu are its vibrant body dynamics, efficacious taisabaki, functional HAPV-theory and application-based two-person drills, which breathe life back into kata.Resurrecting, and systematizing the original contextual premise of old style karate and kata into an easy-to-learn structure.
Kata (Model Examples & Postures)
The genuine desire to truly understand the nature and application of traditional kata.
Muchimi-di (Sticky-hand sensitivity drills)
Muchimi-di fosters the skill of controlling the attacker by continually pressing, trapping and or hooking.
Tegumi (Two-person checking, trapping, & close-combat drills)
Tegumi blasts open the door to discovering kata application.
Ne/Osae-waza (Grappling & finishing holds)
Exploring the forgotten heritage of karate — the plethora of tactical situations that go beyond punching and kicking.
Kansetsu/Tuite-jutsu (Joint Manipulation, Seizing Connective Tissue & Cavity Pressing)
Learning how to twist bones, lock joints, seize weak parts of the human body and dig into those cavities unprotected by the skeletal structure.
Shime-waza (Strangulations-chokes/Sealing the Breath)
Handed down via kata, shime-waza has, unfortunately, become a lost skill in the art of karate until recently.
Kuzushi, Nage & Ukemi-waza (Balance Displacement, Throwing, Tumbling & Falling/Landing)
Unfortunately, ending up on the ground, irrespective of how unwelcome the thought may be, is something that is more than likely to happen in an actual physical confrontation.
Katame-waza (Lesson’s in Restraint/Immobilization)
200 brutally effective practices from classical kata, which are culminated in three separate two-person drills.
Kobudo (The Weapon Art)
Introducing the participant to the rare style of kobudo called Yamaneryu, as handed down to Kinjo Hiroshi Hanshi, through Grandmaster Oshiro Chojo
The KU method leaves no room for the kind of ambiguity exampled elsewhere in traditional karate; i.e., the kind of ambiguity which has given kata such a “bad name.” KU represents a clear and precise pathway to mastery, if and when followed methodically. After gaining a reasonable level of competency (against aggressive resistance) learners are taught how to rehearse the prescribed solo application modules by themselves — culminating the lessons learned. By linking together the individual modules into unique geometrical configurations something great than the sum total of its individual parts appear – Kata.
The KU Pathway also explains how, when practiced by themselves, Kata also serve as creative mechanisms through which to express individual prowess while strengthening one’s overall mental, physical and holistic conditioning.Remarkable insight comes from understanding the original work of the pioneers. Moreover, it also provides the opportunity to see continual change as an inevitable part of tradition, rather than as a perceived threat.
Tradition should inspire innovation, not limit it. Remembering the superb wisdom of Krishnamurti;
“We are all working together in true spirit of cooperation, in which there is really no single authority. It is our mutual interest in understanding the original teachings that bring us together to find truth.”WHETHER YOU ARE A COMPLETE BEGINNER OR SEASONED MARTIAL ARTIST,
THE KU PATHWAY IMPROVES YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE MARTIAL ARTS AND WILL ONLY ENHANCE YOUR TRAINING IN ANYWAY.